Thursday, May 17, 2012

Q4. icons


I do not really have a favorite pop icon. I know, I know, it’s surprising I’m not talking about Justin Bieber right now. Although I do love Justin Bieber, I wouldn’t consider him a pop icon. Honestly, I don’t even know who I consider a pop icon. A pop icon is defined as a celebrity, character, or object whose fame in pop culture constitutes a defining characteristic of a given society. I can’t think of anyone I’m a really big fan of who defines a characteristic of a given society off the top of my head. I decided to look up some of the biggest pop icons. I found a list that Oprah Winfrey, Elvis Presley, Lucille Ball, Michael Jordan, Princess Diana, and Michael Jackson. I think that a pop icon is someone who everyone knows, and can recognize them easily.  However, what sets a person apart from being famous and iconic? Also on the list I was looking at I noticed Brittney Spears was on it. I don’t see how she is iconic. I think an iconic person should be a good and talented person. I am a little bit confused as to how she is considered an icon. I know she is recognizable, but what society does she represent? There are many people that surprised me on the list of icons. Members of the Osborne family were on the list and I don’t think they are iconic at all. There are also many people I have never heard of on the list, and if they are so iconic how come I have never heard of them in my life? Overall, I do not have a ‘favorite pop icon’ and I think considering someone an icon unless they’ve really done something big in their life is kind of stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment