Tuesday, May 1, 2012

p3. Teacher evaluation

In some cases I think it isn’t fair to judge a teacher based on their test scores. There are many kids I know who just don’t care about school and never do their work or care about their grades. So for kids who have bad grades because they don’t do anything, it shouldn’t reflect on the teacher. However, I feel there are many teachers who just teach for a paycheck and don’t really care about what they are doing. I don’t think grades could show that they are not passionate about their job and really don’t care. Some teachers are good teachers if you pay attention and study, but for the kids who struggle with that it will show in their test grades. Normally teachers like that are also the ones who don’t care whether you pass or not because those students have to take the class again not the teachers. There are so many different teachers and that makes a difference. I also feel like there is a big difference in subjects. Of course teachers who teach college math compared to an easy elective are going to have lower grades. Although judging how effective a teacher is based on their grades sounds like a good idea and that it would make sense, but it really doesn’t. I have had many teachers who I thought were really good and just because I didn’t get in the high 90’s on that subject exam doesn’t mean they didn’t teach well and put a lot of effort into what they were doing. Overall, I think every teacher has a different teaching style and has very different students and all this makes a big difference in test scores. You really can’t judge a person’s teaching ability based on the grades their students receive, unless all of the students fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment